So it’s the end of the year again. Do you feel the Christmas pinch coming with big spending? Well don’t despair. Here are 7 things to do that can save you cash this jingle bell season!
1. Plan meals based on what’s already in the fridge till your big Christmas Shop: You will save space in your fridge and will stop you from throwing out food which goes off before the end of the year.
2. Do a Secret Santa with your siblings and friends: Want to make sure everyone gets a great gift without breaking the bank? Get your friends/ family to do a Secret Santa so you can splash out on one fantastic gift rather than 10!
3. Redo your budget: Sit down and evaluate your financial situation. If you spent too much this year or didn’t save enough (not always one in the same, mind you), make a plan to cut out some expenses you can live without and implement strategies to save more money along the way.
4. Keep all your coins in a jar at the end of the day: keep every coin less than £1 in the jar as soon as you come in. It might not seem like much but it adds up quickly, you could save up to £100 before the end of the year for a nice pot for January.
5. Clear out your closet and return new unused items: Even if it has gone past the 30-day refund limit, you can always get them to exchange the item for another in store for up to 12 months, get a few Christmas gifts in store and save closet space!
6. Have a pot-luck Christmas dinner: Write down a list of dishes for the Christmas dinner and ask each of your guests to bring one along and a bottle! You save over 50% on shopping costs and you have less to wash up. Win win!
7. Get rid of your TV licence: A TV licence costs £145.50, but do you need one? If you watch catch-up TV you do not need a licence, so BBC iPlayer, Channel 4 on Demand and ITV Player are all free to use if you are watching shows that have already been broadcast. You also do not need a licence for watching DVDs and videos or to stream Netflix and Lovefilm.
8. Don’t go shopping at these stores till their sales week starts off: Handy trick, if you want to get someone a gift from these store before they start sales, give them a gift voucher for more bank for your buck!
a. Dorothy Perkins (25% off – Week 2 Dec )
b. Body Shop (40% off and free gift- Week 2 Dec)
c. Topman (20% off –online only - Week 2 Dec)
d. Mulberry (Up to 50% off – Week 1 Jan)
e. M & S (Up to 60% off- Week 4 Dec)
f. Figleaves (25% off – Week 2 Dec)
g. French Connection (25% off – online only – Week 1 Dec)
h. Laura Ashley (30% off + Extra 10% off – Week 4 Nov)
i. Kurt Geiger (Up to 70% off – Week 4 Dec)
j. Asos (Up to 70% off – Week 4 Dec)
k. Next (50% off – Week 4 Dec)
l. Bonus Best Deals: Here are a few great deals coming up for Christmas
i. Get a real Christmas tree for only £5 from IKEA: Between the 26th Nov and 22nd Dec. it costs £25 but you get a £20 voucher at checkout!
ii. Get Henri Cachet/ Pierre Darcy Brut Champagne for £10 at Asda (Was £20)
iii. Watch out for black Friday Amazon deals on Wed 27th, as it’s the biggest shopping day of the year for mega savings on electronics with £100’s of off.
iv. 50% off at Laredoute on EVERYTHING!